아티스트

Han Kyoungho

• Nationality South Korea
  • Duration 2023.09~2023.11

Born in Seoul. Photographer. Doctor of Engineering.

He studied and taught architecture. His relationship with photography began in 2009 when he was selected as an artist in the Asia Professional Photography category. After getting married in 2016, I moved to rural Hokkaido, Japan. Coming and going every day to see the scenery for his daily life naturally led to the work of interpreting and reconstructing the context of his place. Especially in winter, it feels like there is a white canvas standing everywhere surrounded by snow, and the scattered houses and structures look like abstract paintings on the white background.

His work is based on place, but it is not intended to explain place. Detailed numerical statistics are often cited to help us understand a place. This is photographic evidence. However, the experience, perception, interpretation and reconstruction of a place cannot and is not measured with quantified data. Perhaps this can be expressed through drawing, but He would like to depict this through photography.

Perhaps because I studied architecture or because I was familiar with the topography of Seoul, I was always fascinated by the mystique of the horizontal topography. Hokkaido, where I live, is a place with flat rice paddies, and the single straight line drawn to the left and right like a rough wave feels like an unknown world. Two categories form the axis of my work: Seoul, city, architecture, and spatial recognition, and Hokkaido, countryside, photography, and planar recognition. He won the Takashi Honma Award at the Tokyo Front Line Photo Awards in 2021, and held his solo exhibition “The North Context” at the Hokkaido Higishikawa Museum of Photography in 2023.